Tuesday 4 April 2017

What I've been reading.

Here's what I've been reading recently, lovely library books and some second hand finds too, 

What I've been reading. From UK book blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #bookblogger #ukblogger #librarybooks #bookreviews

The Little Women Letters - Gabrielle Donnelly
If you need to read a fluffy book about the ancestors of the Little Women (assuming of course that they're real) then I can recommend this one.  A quirky lady with wild hair (Jo March's great great granddaughter, obvs) finds Jo's letters in the attic and their stories intertwine.  But WARNING the girl's dad is the most annoying character ever written and is likely to induce feminist rage (he has an imaginary wife, who he talks to, and about to his real wife.  Seriously.)

What I've been reading. From UK book blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #bookblogger #ukblogger #librarybooks #bookreviews

The Manifesto on how to be Interesting - Holly Bourne
I've read everything Holly Bourne has written so far and I've loved it all.  I started with this book, wherein a quiet geeky girl undertakes to make herself cool with big consequences.  And lots of feminism.  In all her books.  Yey for feminism.

What I've been reading. From UK book blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #bookblogger #ukblogger #librarybooks #bookreviews

How to Grow Food A Wartime Guide - Doreen Wallace
This is a funny little book published in the 1940s to help new gardeners dig for victory.  We follow a year in the gardening life of our family, newcomers to the country and to growing their own, with sage advice from their neighbour, the weatherbeaten lady.  It's delightfully vintage. 

What I've been reading. From UK book blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #bookblogger #ukblogger #librarybooks #bookreviews

Saffy's Angel - Hilary McKay
I've been working my way through this childrens/YA series for a while, there are six books and some are better than other, but all quite good comfort reads.  I've seen this series likened to Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle, and other retro-feeling books, where the family are arty, and the parents do care but are a bit crap and the children are free to have all sorts of adventures with no adult supervision.  It's a sweet, charming series.

What have you got out from the library right now?


  
  

4 comments:

  1. Saffy's Angel and the Little Women book sound right up my street! In fact, they all do!!! Hmm, lots for the list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy the Hilary McKay series, and then you can recommend them to all your students! :D

      Delete
  2. I LOVE that Hilary McKay series so much, it was one of my favourite discoveries on my PGCE years ago. I hated the first Holly Bourne book I read (Soulmates) because it was so weirdly derivative of Twilight, except less problematic, and juvenile in the extreme, but all her others I have adored so I'm going to put Soulmates down to the fact it was her first book and if I remember correctly, she was pretty young when she wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo I've somehow missed out Soulmates, I haven't read it and my library doesn't have a copy, I don't think I'll bother with it though :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie