Sunday 27 October 2013

Library of Birmingham...

Last week I went to the shiny new Library of Birmingham.  I am in love with it!


There are some beautiful bird paintings on the old library building...


I think this was on floor 4, there are lots of balconies and view points to look out over the city...


On floor 7 is a Shakespeare room, it is most beautiful and old looking, which is a real contrast with the rest of the building.  There is also a viewing point on this level, with huge glass windows to look out over the city.


Up at the tippity top there is a (not so secret) garden.  It had started to rain while I was there, but in the summer it would be lovely to take a book up here to read.  There were amazing views of the city from here too (but my camera wasn't playing ball)!


We went down from the top in this very exciting, great glass elevator, Charlie and the chocolate factory-esque lift. wheee!



The inside of the rest of the library is amazing too, I would LOVE this to be my local library and to visit every week for my books.




Have you been to the new Birmingham Library?  What did you think?

4 comments:

  1. Sweet God.
    I just went to heaven!
    In a time when people aren't reading as much and a time when there are so many video games... it's so refreshing to see a library that is new and not one that is being shut down! I am in love! Seriously!
    Thanks for making my day Susie!
    Oh and stay safe in the storm!
    Tammy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was pretty much my reaction! It's so amazing in there, we spent over an hour having a 'quick' look, but I need to go back and have a proper explore one day. We are so lucky to have this lovely new library, in my part of the midlands we're having new libraries too, the one I work in opened last April, several of our branches are being made over or relocating to new premises, and we're having a new huge main library in the town centre next year (http://www.heartoftelford.co.uk/heart/index.html) , it's nice when things aren't all doom and gloom in the library world! :)

      Delete
  2. I've not been to B'ham for a while, so this will have to be on the list to do when I go next. Fab pics by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I can't recommend the new library enough, it is amazing!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie