Saturday 26 March 2011

How to Make Vegan Chocolate Sauce...

I'm very smug at the moment...it's only March and it's been 16 degrees here, which means I've already had my first ice lolly and my first ice cream of the year!

I usually have B'nice rice milk chocolate ice cream, but my fave independent health food shop recently closed (sob!) and I don't know where else I can get it from, so I've been trying out some Worthenshaws Freedom chocolate frozen dessert that was on special offer at the supermarket.  I know it doesn't say it's actually ice cream on the pot, but I was disappointed because it's not very creamy or chocolatey.  To make up for the lack of chocolateyness I've been making large amounts of hot chocolate sauce to go with it!  It's very yummy and it doesn't come out of a plastic bottle either!



You need 1 and a half teaspoons of cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons of golden syrup and 1 teaspoon of vegan margarine, melted together in a pan, or the microwave, until they've started to bubble a bit.  That's it!  That makes enough for 1 greedy person, or 2 not greedy people. 

Happy summer everyone!  Have you had your first ice cream of the year yet?

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh yum chocolaty goodness! ;-) vegan margarine? Do you get such a thing? Never heard of it. I'll try and look out for it over here in SA. Def will try your recipe. Thanks for sharing. My raw version is cacao beans grounded to powder with coconut oil and agave syrup... also good. the coconut oil makes the sauce go hard too... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn - yep we get several brands of vegan marg. in the UK, it's pretty commonplace, you can buy it in supermarkets and everything...how funny that you've not seen it where you are! Your raw version sounds much healthier of course, I recently bought some coconut oil, it's solid and smells a bit funny! Is that the kind you use? I used to love that ice cream sauce that went hard on the icecream - reminds me of my childhood!

    Kay - it was!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah... I know what you mean... it smells like something you should put on your skin... like suntan lotion or something... ha-ha! It is hard and white. When you melt it over a little warm water it melts... and is see through... but then again your version sounds far more delish...;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie