Saturday 20 November 2010

Vegan Sweetcorn Fritters...

We regularly have half a tin of sweetcorn left over, so after studying several fritter recipes (including the one that came in the ASDA magazine) I've come up with this easy, veganised version...

Ingredients
1/2 a tin of sweetcorn
2 heaped dessert spoons of flour
1/2 tsp of baking powder or bicarbonate of soda whichever you have
salt
1 tsp of egg replacement powder (I use ogran egg replacer.  The name grosses me out a bit cos I always mis-read it as organ.  But it works pretty well)
enough water to make a thinnish mixture.

The method is really easy, put the dry ingredients (inc egg replacer) into a bowl, slowly add water until is becomes a thinnish mixture, add the sweetcorn, then blob a spoonful into a hot frying pan with some oil and cook till brown on each side.




You might want to experiment with the flour to water ratio, I'm not very measur-y with this recipe because it's just something I throw together, but use your logic, if it's too runny add flour, too thick add water. Lots of the recipes I've seen for fritters have all sorts of exciting ingredients, like spring onions, chives, chillies and all sorts of stuff. I suppose you could put anything in the basic batter (I've just had a brainwave and I'm going to try chocolate chips and a little bit of syrup in my next mixture!) but I like pretty bland food so sweetcorn on it's own suits me.  I usually make too many (about 8-10 from this recipe) and my mum doesn't appreciate my bland version, so I put them in the fridge and they're nice to take in my lunchbox to work the next day, warmed up for a few seconds in the microwave.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm expecting my daughter and hubby, who are vegan, for Thanksgiving. This looks yummy and doable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very easy! Gad you like the sound of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy!! I never thought of putting corn into a pancake/fritter!! :)
    What's in egg replacement, any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to have come across many sweetcorn fritter recipes, so thought I should try my own...maybe it's a uk thing? :S
    Google tells me that the egg replacer I use has
    Potato starch, tapioca flour, vegetable gum (methylcellulose, calcium carbonate), food acid (citric) in it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie