Sunday 7 March 2010

Spring Gardening!

Oh how happy I am that spring is on the way! We even went on a spring time snowdrop walk this morning at a local national trust property (because I volunteer regularly for the national trust I get in free - hurrah!) and it was beautiful!

We even saw some deer, really close up...


It was all very magical and Bambi-esque!

It was still nice and sunny when I got home so I gave into temptation and planted the seeds I bought yesterday (I knew I wouldn't be able to wait very long!)
I had courgettes, spring onions and peppers to plant, they all say sow indoors starting from march, so even though it's still a bit chilly I thought I'd give it a go, I have plenty of seeds in the packets for another try a bit later if they fail me (incidentally, I chose to grow from seed because (it's more fun!) there seems to be less waste - no plastic plant pots etc, but does anyone know if the little foil/paper seed packets can be recycled anywhere?). I also had some garlic to plant. Last year I took some garlic out of the fridge and stuck it into some pots, which worked well actually, but isn't really the done thing (the majority of supermarket garlic is grown in other countries and doesn't really do it's best in our climate) So mum bought me this to have a go with this year!
Here are all my planted up pots lined up to have their picture taken. The big white tub has the garlic in (that's a nice big white tub you have there, I hear you say. Our fridge/freezer broke last week and I salvaged all the trays out of it for planters before it went away for recycling! This means I got the fun and fiery job of using a metal kebab skewer heated up over the gas ring to make drainage holes in the bottom!) The big black pot has spring onions in and the two little yellows are courgette and peppers. Please send growing vibes our way! Those green things in the purple pots you can see to the side are last years garlics - they felt left out and wanted to be in the picture too! You're meant to wait until the leaves wilt to dig them up...these 3 are showing no signs of wilting - goodness knows how big the garlic bulbs are going to be on these!

And I've put them to keep nice and warm in mums greenhouse. Do you like our improvised incubators (do you call them incubators for plants - they're to keep the warm and humidity in anyway!) a plastic bag, a trifle bowl and a bit of bubble wrap - all my mothers ideas - the woman's ingenious!

And finally, I had a prune of my mint plant, this is my special mint my mummy bought me back from her holiday in Cornwall it's called 'Moroccan Mint' and reminds me of drinking mint tea in hot places! When I'd cut away all the dead bits I discovered all these beautiful tiny new leaves waiting to grow! How lovely!
Hope you're enjoying spring everyone! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie